Adult Services - Reference Department
The reference staff will gladly assist you with research projects, finding answers to questions, locating books and materials, using Electronic Resources including the Internet, request materials using our interlibrary loans programs, and any other information needed.
Reference service is provided in response to the following forms of inquiry: in-person, telephone, or e-mail.
Please call 708-458-2880 ext. 105 for Reference.
Bridgeview Public Library has Braille books available for check out.
ADULT SERVICES - COMPUTERS
Ten public computers and 1 public Express -15 minute computer are available in Adult Services to access the Internet and Microsoft Office Suite 2010 including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Paint.
Adult Services - Internet Policy
- Adult Registrations: Users will be asked to acknowledge on-screen before logging on the Internet that they will abide the libraryís Internet policy. Use of the Internet access computers is available to both residents and non-residents of Bridgeview on a first come, first served basis. All Internet users need to present a library card before use. This card can be from any library. Library patrons who have a blocked status and / or owe fines at any library will need to resolve the problem at the circulation desk before using the Internet access computers.
- Child Registrations: Parents must register their children who are under the age of 18 and this registration must be done at the library. The Bridgeview Public Library assumes no responsibility for the use of the Internet by children. It is the responsibility of the user (or the parent, guardian, or care giver) to determine what appropriate use of the Internet is. Children under the age of seven (7) years of age and using the Internet, a parent must be present in the childrenís services area.
- Availability: The Internet access computers are available during hours when the library is open and are subject to periodic maintenance. The Internet access computers in the Childrenís Services area available during hours when the library is open. If there is a waiting line to use the Internet access computer, patrons will be asked to limit their use to one (1) HOUR. During peak times, patrons will be asked to limit their use to 30 minutes if there is a waiting line.
- Patron Responsibility: Patrons are responsible for payment of all pages printed on their Internet access computer. If uncertain, please ask a staff member for assistance.
- Courtesy Card: A courtesy temporary Internet card is available for residents and non residents who do not have their library card at the time of service. For a $2.00 fee, this card is good for only one (1) day. All Internet restrictions apply. Peak periods and people waiting also apply.
- Email, Chatrooms, and Newsgroups: Email can be checked, written sent, and received at the Bridgeview Public Library. Patrons will be able to access chatrooms and newsgroups at the library. (The library will not provide email accounts to patrons.) The Bridgeview Public Library will not be held responsible for any communication received or sent through email, chatrooms, or newsgroups, or actions, damages or any loss of any type resulting from such communication.
- Personal Programs: Personal software programs whether a floppy disk, CD-Rom, flash drive, or from online download, may not be used on the Internet access computers.
- Downloading: If a patron wishes to save files from the Internet, they may either bring an IBM-compatible formatted disk from home or purchase one from the Bridgeview Public Library for $1.00. Software downloaded from the Internet may contain viruses. The library is not responsible for damage to a patronís disk, hard drive, or computer or for any loss of data, damage or liability that may occur from the patronís use of the libraryís computers.
- Internet Instruction: The Bridgeview Public Libraryís staff may provide assistance to patrons in the use of the Internet as time and staff knowledge permits. Patrons must have keyboard knowledge. A staff member is not allowed to access personal account information.
Use of Equipment and Networks:
- Destruction of, damage to, or unauthorized alternation of the libraryís computer equipment, software, or network security procedures
- Use of the Internet or email I any way that violates a federal, state, or local law
- Use of electronic information networks accessed via the Internet in any way that violates licensing and payment agreements between the Bridgeview Public Library and network/database provides
- Violation of system security
- Behaving in a manner that is disruptive to other users, including by not limited to display of offensive visual materialViolations of this policy shall result in loss of the patronís Internet and email privileges.