Teens - Things to Do
TEEN ZOOM Book Talk with Mr. Austin
This club will be for our patrons ages (12-14yrs) covering grades (6-8 grade).
BUT….I would like to know what YOU would like to read & discuss!
Go to the teen page under THINGS TO DO tab. I will have books listed that have peaked my interest, but I want YOU to choose the book that has peaked your interest! Once you’ve chosen a book or two, shoot me an email at email@example.com and let me know your choices!
Once I have enough feedback, I’ll email interested patrons the selected book(s) and book club dates.
Thanks for your feedback!
Mr. Austin @ Youth Services
Bridgeview Public Library
Mr. Austin's ZOOM Book Talk List
*Choose one or two books off this list that you would like to do a Zoom book talk*
EMAIL your picks to:
Adventure Fiction J PAL
After a plane crash, thirteen-year-old Brian spends fifty-four days in the wilderness, learning to survive initially with only the aid of a hatchet given him by his mother, and learning also to survive his parents' divorce.
Fantasy Fiction J NIE
In the country of Carthya, a devious nobleman engages four orphans in a brutal competition to be selected to impersonate the king's long-missing son in an effort to avoid a civil war.
Mystery J JOH
Twelve-year-old Candice Miller is spending the summer in Lambert, South Carolina, in the old house that belonged to her grandmother, who died after being dismissed as city manager for having the city tennis courts dug up looking for buried treasure--but when she finds the letter that sent her grandmother on the treasure hunt, she finds herself caught up in the mystery and, with the help of her new friend and fellow book-worm, Brandon, she sets out to find the inheritance, exonerate her grandmother, and expose an injustice once committed against an African American family in Lambert.
Historical Fiction J GRA
- Trinity Lutheran Church in Oak Lawn can use some help doing odd jobs. Call the church at 708-422-0193.
- Animal Welfare League in Chicago Ridge always needs help walking dogs, cleaning cages and keeping shelter animals company 708-636-8586.
- St. Linus Catholic Church in Oak Lawn takes volunteer groups to the city to help out at other churches 708-422-2400.
- American Cancer Society in Tinley Park 708-633-7770.
- The Greater Chicago Ferret Association needs volunteers for its ferret shelter. Call 708-442-8650.
- Park Lawn Association has volunteer opportunities working with intellectually challenged adults. Call 708-425-3344.
- The Children’s Museum in Oak Lawn 708-423-6709.
- Operation Blessing in Crestwood, Monday through Friday, 4-to 6-hour volunteers shifts in the food pantry. Ask for Frank. Tell him Mary sent you, 708-597-6326.
- The Garden Center Services (Burbank) has volunteer opportunities supporting persons with developmental disabilities 708-636-0054.
- The Children’s Farm at the Center in the Palos Park 708-361-3650.
- Palos Community Hospital Student Volunteers 708-923-4041. http://www.paloscommunityhospital.org/app/files/public/1191/pdf-studentvolunteerapp.pdf
- Advocate Christ Medical Center Volunteer office 708-684-5248
- AMITA Health Hinsdale & La Grange Volunteer program
- Little Company of Mary Hospital Volunteer program 708-229-5280.
- American Red Cross Volunteer opportunities near you
- Teen Life Volunteer Opportunities
- Sunrise of Palos Park Senior Living 708-361-3577.
- Hickory Nursing Pavilion 708-598-4040.
- BRIA Health Services of Palos Hills 708-598-3460.
- Moraine Court Supportive Living 708-594-2700.
- West Suburban Humane Society 630-960-9600
- Adopt a pet.com volunteering opportunities
- Hinsdale Humane Society 630-323-5630
- P.A.W.S. of Tinley Park Junior Volunteer Program 1-815-464-7298
- Mosque Foundation Food Pantry 708-430-6888
- Pilgrim Faith United Church of Christ Food Pantry 708-422-4200
- Bethany Lutheran Food Pantry 630-257-7953
- Westmont Food Pantry 630-969-7848
- Lemont United Methodist Church Open Pantry 630-257-5210
- Saint Blaise Church 708-458-0007
- Saint Fabian Catholic Church 708-599-1110
- Saint Patricia Parish & School 708-598-5222
- Sacred Heart Church 708-974-4098
- Hickory Hills Adopt A Platoon Program - Contact Jim Kruse at 630-484-8867 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- neat repeats in Worth and Orland Park https://www.crisisctr.org/get-involved/volunteer/ or contact Volunteer Coordinator, Deonne Senese at email@example.com.